Monday, July 09, 2007

What's so special about 7-7-7?

Yeah, why, indeed? What's so special about july 7, 2007 that everyone feels one should do something unusual that day, or one should celebrate something on that day? I have no idea. For me, that date is the same as any other date. Just as new year's eve. Just another day to live.

Anyway, long before that date, we had an invitation from one of Mas's friends from Waseda, Andi. He's going to get married on that date. One week before the date, my cousin told me that she's going to celebrate her 17th birthday. I offered her to buy the birthday cake from me and she said yes. So one day before the day, I made the cake and it looked like this.

I took the design from Tan See Fong book. It's quite pretty, except for several flaws due to the disturbance from the children (so what's new, right?). The bottom cake was 25 cm in diameter, and the top cake was 16 cm in diameter. All in all, I felt quite proud of the result since it's the first fully decorated cake by me (I made all the ornament by myself from scratch, including the flowers and the butterflies).

My brother had promised to take the cake to my cousin's house that afternoon. But when he was about to go, the car broke down. So we had no option other than to take the cake ourselves. So off we go, 5 o'clock that afternoon, to my cousin's house in Bintara, east Jakarta. In normal time, it took about 1-1 1/2 hours to get there. But then, that afternoon, nothing was normal. The traffic jam was unbelievable. At 6 o'clock, we only got as far as Pasar rebo. There were so many cars, so many people on the street, all struggled to get to their festive destination. Finally, we arrived at my aunt's house at 7.30. Luckily, the party hadn't started yet because some guests hadn't arrived yet. My aunt tried to persuade us to stay, but then we still had our final destination. So off we go again, joined in the crowd again, to get to Menteng where the party's held. The journey took 2 hours, and it's already a quarter past nine by the time we got there. The newlyweds were still there, taking pictures with their guests, and we met one of mas's friends and his family. So we got in, congratulated Andy and his bride. From the announcer, we found out that the couple was going to go back to Japan where he worked on sunday, so it's a good thing that we made the effort to come to the party.

But the food were all gone (and I imagined they must be something since the theme of the wedding and the place was a special place, not one of those common places for wedding). Thank God my aunt had provided us with some ransom from her party catering, so we're not very hungry. But Reyhan still demanded to go to McD, just as our promise to him in case we didn't got any food at the party (which turned out to be true). So on our way home, we stopped by the McD at Manggarai, grabbed some last food, and head home. We're finally arrived at home at 11.30. And that ended our adventure on july 7. Now, do you understand why I was traumatized by that date? :))

Note: Yeah, yeah, I do know why. It's a unique combination, it's easy to remember, bla bla bla. But still, it's just one of those days, you know.

2 comments:

Bunda Faikar said...

wah ly, kayaknya kemampuan elo bikin kue dah bisa disamakan nih ama Mbak Fatmah ^_^

Ully said...

Ah dikau paling bisa deh Wi. Gile aje gw dibandingin sama pakar-para suhu-kue begitu. Kl kata guru alqur'an gw, bainassama'i was sumuri. Bagaikan langit dan sumur. Hihihi... Masih jaoooo....